Jennifer Koury (American, 20th C.-) Freelance illustrator, toy designer, teacher and author. Koury, an avid painter, delights in the play of light and color on forms to create atmospheric moods in both her plein air and studio works. Her art exhibits her passion for the effects of the natural world, including wind, water, shadows, reflected light, and the emotions they create.
During the past several years, she has been an instructor in watercolor at the Burchfield Penney Art Center’s International Center for Watercolor. In 2018, she was their Summer Resident Artist/Instructor, teaching a weekly series of watercolor workshops inspired by the exhibition, Suddenly I Awoke: The Dream Journals of Charles E. Burchfield.
Koury has enjoyed a rewarding career as a dedicated painter, a freelance illustrator, and designer. Her watercolor artwork is published in both children's and adult books. She has exhibited her paintings in one woman and gallery exhibits throughout the US.
A previous finalist in the Chautauqua Annual Exhibition of Contemporary Art, Koury's work can presently be seen in both private and public collections. Her work is featured at George Washington's Mount Vernon and the children's wing of Yuma Regional Medical Center. She is a signature member and on the Board of the Niagara Frontier Watercolor Society.
She graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia with a BFA in Painting and Printmaking. Koury then continued her studies graduating in Illustration from Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California as well as studied abroad in the Exchange Program, Winchester College of Art, Winchester, England.
Fine Artist and Instructor 2014-Present:
• Burchfield Penney Art Center, International Center for Watercolor, 2018 Summer Residence Artist/Instructor.
• Painting avidly; creating personal energy and continued personal intellectual growth.
• Focusing personal artistic passion and dedication to continually produce work. Exhibiting annually.
• Burchfield Penney Art Center, International Center for Watercolor - Instructing 12 + classes per year.
• Buffalo State University New York - Guest Speaker - Art Education 100.
• Amherst Art Society and East Aurora Art Society Guest Speaker, Watercolor Painting Demo Water.
• Teaching artistic skills, inspiring thoughtful problem solving, and challenging students’ growth.
• Instructing courses since 2015, achieving successful returning student factor.
• Buffalo Society of Artists – Member.
• Niagara Frontier Watercolor Society - Board of Directors and Signature Member.
• Niagara Frontier Plein Air Painters – Member.
Fine Art Exhibitions and Awards:
• BSA 123rd Catalogue Exhibition, Sisti Gallery North, NY.
• 14th International Exhibition of Transparent Watercolor, NFWS, Kenan Center, NY.
• Plein Air Landscape: Discovering Nature, Niagara Frontier Plein Air Painters, River Art Gallery, NY.
• Changing Seasons II, Artwork of the Scenic Byways, Springville Center for the Arts.
• Clarence Plein Air Festival and Exhibition, Clarence Town Park, NY, First Place Award.
• Spring Members Juried Watermedia Exhibition, NFWS, Carnegie Center, NY, First Place Award.
• BSA 2019 Open Members Exhibition, Expo 68, NY.
• BSA 23rd Annual Juried Members Exhibition, Art Space Gallery, NY.
• East Aurora Advertiser Article and Photo of Artwork, East Aurora Art Society. Watercolor Demonstration.
• Spring Juried Community Exhibit, Springville Center for the Arts, NY.
• Burchfield Penney Art Center Summer Residence Artist/Instructor, ICW, NY.
• 2018 Biennial Niagara Frontier Art Exhibition, Kenan Center, NY.
• Fall Members Juried Exhibition, Niagara Frontier Watercolor Society, Kenan Center, NY.
• Plein Air Landscape: Mood and Mystery, Niagara Frontier Plein Air Painters, Carnegie Center, NY.
• Golden Gallery Solo Exhibit, Seton Imaging Radiology Unit, NY.
• Members Juried Watermedia Exhibition, Niagara Frontier Watercolor Society, Kenan Center, NY. Board of Director’s Award. Featured watercolor for exhibition’s marketing initiative.
• Mid-Atlantic Exhibition, Baltimore Watercolor Society, Blackrock Cultural Center, MD.
• The Art of Native Plants, Benefit for the Western New York Land Conservancy, Meibohm Fine Arts, NY.
• 2016 Plein Air Exhibition, Niagara Arts and Cultural Center, NY, Second Place Award.
• Clarence Plein Air Festival and Exhibition, Clarence Town Park, NY, Second Place Award.
• Fall Members Juried Watermedia Exhibition, Niagara Frontier Watercolor Society, Kenan Center, NY.
• Mount Vernon Collection, Artworks from Where Was George Washington?, Mount Vernon, VA.
• Yuma Regional Women’s and Children’s Hospital Wing Collection, AZ.
Jennifer Koury Illustration, Buffalo, NY, Freelance Illustrator, Toy Designer, and Author 1995-Present:
• Illustrating 17 children’s books, including, Where Was George Washington? - 32 page picture book Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association, George Washington’s Home, VA.
• Authoring 16 children’s books, as well as, authoring and illustrating manuscripts for future submissions.
• Conceptualizing toys/3-D designs; Sculpting- understanding of plastic toy molding. Designing/ illustrating animal logos/ toy packaging. Clients: Mattel Toys, Ertl Toys, Chicago Review Press, The Marrow Foundation, Pasadena Playhouse, Galoob Toys.
Mattel Toys, El Segundo, CA, Designer 1992-1995:
• Conceptualizing/sketching potential product, presenting concepts for toy lines, sculpting clay models.
• Developing toy lines with design team from concept through production.
• Understanding of manufacturing for plastic molding and paint capabilities relating to the toy industry.
Artist’s Website: jenniferkouryart.com